Do-It-Yourself Going Green Ideas
It is becoming more and more important for individuals to live a more eco-friendly lifestyle. In 2008, Popular Science Magazine ranked the Top 50 greenest U.S. cities and Fort Worth, TX ranked fifteenth on that list. These rankings were based on raw data from US Census Bureau and the National Geographic Society’s Green Guide, which collected survey data and statistics for cities with a population over 100,000. The categories analyzed include electricity use, air quality, and transportation habits.
Many times, apartment dwellers feel more helpless than homeowners in controlling their environment and how it impacts their carbon footprint. Homeowners have much more control on the type of appliances purchased and also can make even more drastic changes to their home in order to conserve energy. Since renters don’t make decisions on the type of air conditioning units, water heaters, or other major appliances that decide how energy-efficient the unit is; it can seem like there isn’t much you can do to be more “green”. There are, however, several other ways that renters living in apartments in Fort Worth, TX have sustained a green lifestyle. Here are some simple ideas that will assist you in living a green lifestyle while in Fort Worth apartments, or any other city.
1. First and foremost, communicate to your landlord how important green-living and reducing your carbon footprint is to you. In addition to requesting energy-efficient appliances, share eco-friendly tips with your landlord and suggest that it is shared among the entire apartment community. Many times, apartment communities have a monthly newsletter or similar publication that is perfect for this type of information.
2. Use green products, like energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs. While these light bulbs cost more than the typical incandescent bulb, they can last up to ten times longer and only use 1/3 of the energy as incandescent bulbs. You can also remove them and take them with you when you move. Just be careful when packing them and make sure your replace any light fixtures with incandescent bulbs or you could be charged for those by the apartment community.
3. Change out your air conditioning filter on a regular basis. You may not have access to this so ask your property manager how often the a/c filter is changed. It should be done at least once every six months.
4. Use power strips in order to reduce the amount of phantom energy wasted. Phantom energy occurs when appliances and chargers are turned off, but still plugged in and drawing power fro the outlet. In the average home, this can account for as much as 40% of the energy bill. These electronics include televisions, DVD players, game consoles, microwaves, and AC adapters for cell phones or other electronics. When you are done using electrical devices simply switch off the power strip to keep them from drawing more power.
5. If you have a washer in your apartment, using cold-water washing can save as much as 80% in energy used on laundry. In addition, only run full loads of laundry in order to be the most efficient.
6. Recycle whenever possible. If your apartment community does not participate in a recycling program, make this a priority for your landlord or management company by suggesting it. In the meantime, find your nearest recycling drop-off center and encourage your neighbors to recycle at those locations as well.
7. Conserve water by reducing the time spent in the shower and by not leaving the water running when brushing your teeth or washing dishes.
8. Turn down your thermostat by two degrees in the winter and increase it by two degrees in the summer. By doing this, you can reduce the amount of carbon dioxide by 2,000 pounds annually.
9. Buy environmentally safe, biodegradable cleaning and hygiene products.
10. Buy a green, PVC-free or nylon shower liner.
If you are going green and need help finding a green friendly apartment check out UMoveFree.com, the number one source for apartments in Texas. Read a UMoveFree review the signup on the website to start your apartment search.
Nick Barber is a licensed real estate broker and the President/CEO of UMoveFree; one of the largest apartment finding firms in the multi-family industry. Visit UMoveFree.com for more information on Apartments in Fort Worth, TX. Need more information on Fort Worth Apartments or want to see a UMoveFree Review?
Article Source: How To Live Green In An Apartment
This easy to read guide will show you why green living is ultimately the easiest way to minimize your household bills while focusing on providing a toxic-free, clean environment for those that mean most to you. In fact, these pages will prove why there are tremendous advantages to going green, and if you believe it’s time consuming, difficult, inconvenient or restrictive, think again.
Living an organic lifestyle doesn’t have to be a difficult transition to make. You simply start off by gradually making small changes that will yield powerful results. As you begin to witness the positive influences on your life by living a healthier and happier lifestyle, you will be eager to make the full transition.
Let Organic Living System change your life today.
For those of you who are not quite ready to commit to buying an e-book for such a major project like organic gardening without being provided additional information, here is the program for you.
Do you think growing your own organic food is too hard or takes too much time? You could be making some common mistakes that’s causing you extra hard work and added frustration. In fact the worlds best gardeners have one trait in common, how little physical labor they actually do.
Are you an experienced gardener who wants to start putting some organic methods into practice?
Laura offers a free 6 day course with absolutely no obligation whatsoever…that actually covers selected material from Organic Gardening Magic. It covers subjects like:
• How to grow the best Organic Tomatoes in your neighborhood!
• The 7 most common mistakes people make when they start organic gardening
• How to test your soil and improve it if necessary.
• How to use heirloom varieties to get the best tasting organic vegetables imaginable!
• The proper methods to water your vegetable garden for maximum results
• An much more!!!
You can read this material for free, and than decide if Organic Gardening Magic is right for you.
Easy to follow program that will show you exactly how to make solar panels at a fraction of retail cost. I really like the fact that the step-by-step instructions include plenty of pictures and diagrams that will help you build your own solar panels, and save thousands on your solar panel system. This DIY guide will hold your hand through the process of building your own 60 – 120 watt solar panel, all for under $200. They have even included a video library to help you though specific parts of your build!
This is the #1 selling Renewable Energy product in down-loadable form available on the Internet.
You don’t need to be a builder, anybody can make solar panels. It’s really quite easy to make solar panels once you know a few industry secrets. Plus, the guide is broken down into an easy to follow format that will walk you through step-by-step.
If your not technically inclined and you think it’s going to be too hard, please don’t worry. The video series is very easy to follow and explains everything as you are walked through the entire process.
Considering Solar, you have to get Earth 4 Energy
15 years of Research and Development packed into one book… Why spend thousands on a new wind generator when you could simply build your own with easy to follow plans.
The plans are easy to read and follow produce over 1000 watts of power can be built for under $100 USD can be made from readily available material are easy to build and assemble, are tough enough to endure the tough Canadian climate or anywhere in the world. On top of that the finished product looks great.
Best of all, they provide you with free online support to help you with building your own wind generator. Help is just an e-mail away, no matter what the problem is.
They also give you “The Going Green Value Pack” as an extra bonus.
Get Build A Wind Generator today.
Many everyday people want to convert their gas guzzling car into an efficient electric car. However, most people don’t have the $3,000 it costs to hire a mechanic to do the work for them! So, a couple of mechanics got together to solve this problem for everyone!
They wrote a detailed, easy to use instruction manual that will show even the newest of car newbies how to do an electric car conversion!
Here are just some of the Benefits of Gas2Electricity:
The Newest Electric Car Design.They propose that their design will get the most Miles Per Charge and Will Charge Overnight!
The Easiest Do It Yourself Guide – You Can Convert a Car to electric in a few Afternoons!
You Do NOT Need to know much about cars to perform a conversion and everything is Step-By-Step.
Thoroughly Researched – This Guide Has Been Tested In Many Cars to Save You Money and Time.
Paying an Auto-shop to convert your car to electric will cost at least 3,000 dollars. These mechanics are offering you the same guide they use for 1/60th the price.
Start converting your car tomorrow by getting the Gas2Electricity guide